As I worked on my first cup of coffee this morning I thought about our amazing customers and how we've touched their lives through our weighted blankets. I thought to myself "Wouldn't it be nice to get to know each other a little?" So I thought it would be fun to share a bit about myself with you and invite you to share a bit about yourself too.
Business should be fun, and just because I’m busy running a company doesn’t mean I shouldn’t poke my head out occasionally and say “HI!”
So, let me start by sharing with you 22 of my own quirks, habits, and skeletons in my closet. Let’s get to know each other, shall we?
Here We Go!
- I am addicted to peppermint tea. I can drink it all day, and I usually do. At home, at the Timmie’s drive-through, when I’m visiting a friend and especially before, during and after meetings. I love it so much I always keep extra tea bags in my purse.
- I LOVE the smell of new books. If I go into a bookstore I’ll buy a new book even though I have a dozen I haven’t read yet because they smell so darn amazing.
- I like to break the rules, especially in business. I look at what everyone else is doing and then do the opposite. How can you stand out if you do things like everyone else anyway? Do your own thing and do it well.
- I get my best ideas right before I go to sleep, or right when I wake up in the morning. And yet, I still haven’t learned to keep a notepad beside my bed. Nope, I’d rather drag myself out of bed, walk all the way to the office in the dark, make my notes and then go back to bed. Makes sense, right? No? Didn’t think so.
- I loved climbing trees when I was a little girl. The higher the better. I’ve been a risk taker since the day I was born.
- I like to personally answer messages and emails from our customers. And if they ask for a phone call, I prefer to do that myself. People are usually surprised by the personal response, but I really care about what I do, and I want them to feel that.
- I embrace the feeling of fear because it usually comes right before I’m about to do something big, something new, something a little risky. That fear tells me that I’m about to make a breakthrough in my life or in business. The statement is so cliché, but it’s true, your biggest growth ALWAYS lies OUTSIDE your comfort zone.
- I have tiny pinky toes. No really, they are super small with tiny little toenails. The ladies at the nail salons think they’re hilarious and love to make jokes about my tiny little toes.
- I feel happiest when I’m living my passion. And my two biggest passions are business and going to the gym.
- I have been to college twice. Once to agricultural college where I took Western Horse Training and once to business college where I took Business Administration.
- My hair is naturally curly and very thick. I keep it straightened most of the time because I can’t stand the feeling of hair tickling my face.
- I have battled anxiety since my teenage years. It has been the most difficult challenge in my life. Learning to gain the upper hand on negative self-talk and worry is something I’ve had to figure out for myself. I’ve literally had to teach myself to create new habits, it’s almost like overcoming an addiction. It’s never gone, but I’ve learned to control it.
- I live on an acreage, but close to the city. I love the vibe of the city but need the quiet of the country to recharge my batteries.
- I love carnival games. Those cheap $1 prizes that cost you $20 by the time you win them are the greatest. It’s such a thrill every time! Good thing I don’t gamble, isn’t it?
- I love the ocean. I grew up on an island and one day soon I will move back to that very island. In the meantime, I fly home for visits a couple of times a year.
- I have a small, but close, circle of friends. I don’t let many people into my “circle of trust” (Have you seen Meet the Parents? Hilarious!), but those that I do have my unconditional love and loyalty, through thick and thin.
- I LOVE dolphins. There is something so pure and ethereal about them. I am moved to tears every time I do a dolphin swim (and yes, I do that as often as I can).
- I was put into foster care at age 13. It was the most terrifying experience of my life. But out of this, I gained my Dad. I will not call him my Foster Dad because that sounds temporary to me and he is anything but that. He taught me that a Dad’s love is safe and inspired me to be the person I am today.
- I love to fly and yet every time I do I feel a moment of panic that I might die. No really, I seriously must talk myself off the ceiling every time. And yet, I love it. I think it has to do with the thrill I get from conquering my fears.
- I have a Great Pyrenees who is the sweetest dog on the planet. He won’t eat his supper without a scratch and a hug and he looks like Falcor, the Luck Dragon, from the movie “The Neverending Story”
- In addition to my business baby, my husband and I have a real baby, although he isn’t much of a baby anymore. He is 6 ½ (going on 13yrs) and the best thing I ever did in my life. Parenting is the absolute hardest and most rewarding thing I’ve ever done in my life.
- I spent 5 years as a heavy equipment operator, running a big loader in one of the largest drill pipe storage facilities in North America. Of any of the traditional jobs I had before I started my own business, this was the most fun. Most likely because it was so challenging and dangerous.
Okay… that’s it for me, it’s time for another coffee and to get back to work – all this talking about myself is wearing me out.
But I’d love to hear a bit about you! Feel free to post in the comments with your own fun facts about you! :)
Founder - Blue Hill Sleep Co.